Dr Mario Zerafa is a Senior Associate within GANADO Advocates’ Investment Services and Funds team. Mario has a wide range of experience in setting up, structuring and licensing of PIFs, UCITS, AIFs and NAIFs as well as investment services licence holders such as AIFMs, UCITS Management Companies, and MIFID firms. On an ongoing basis he advises clients on their ongoing obligations in terms of the applicable legal and regulatory framework. As part of the ongoing support to clients, Mario also assists with various corporate matters including the re-domiciliation of companies into or out of Malta, drafting of shareholders agreements and corporate governance matters.
Mario also specialises in anti-financial crime related matters within the financial services sector, concentrating particularly on anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing, anti-bribery and corruption, and whistleblowing laws. On an ongoing basis, he advises clients on governance issues as well as on the establishment of an anti-financial crime framework in line with Maltese laws and regulations. Mario regularly represents clients before the Maltese authorities responsible for countering money laundering and funding of terrorism in Malta.
He also lectures at a number of academic institutions on investment services and AML-CFT subjects.
- GANADO Advocates, Senior Associate: 2020
- GANADO Advocates, Associate: 2015
- GANADO Advocates, Advocate: 2012
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (International Commercial Law), 2012 (London)
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D), 2011(Malta)
- Bachelor of Laws with European Studies (LL.B), 2008 (Malta)
- IFSP in Trust Law and Administration, 2011 (Malta)
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- Member of the Chamber of Advocates