Dr Michelle Whitehead is a Consultant within GANADO Advocates’ Insurance and Pensions team, focusing on re/insurance and pensions regulations. She is involved in assisting clients on legal and regulatory matters in relation to insurance and reinsurance companies, insurance intermediaries and pensions.
Prior to joining the firm, Michelle was a Senior Manager of the Regulatory and Legal Team with the Insurance and Pensions Supervision Unit at the MFSA. Her role included coordinating and reviewing the transposition of EU Legislation in Maltese legislation relating to insurance and pensions, in particular coordinating work on the Solvency II Directive, the Insurance Distribution directive and the IORP II directive and providing legal guidance on the interpretation and application of laws, regulations and Rules issues by the MFSA resulting from ongoing supervision. She also represented the MFSA in meetings held locally and overseas, specifically various EU Insurance Working Groups and transposition workshops organised by the EU Commission in Brussels on Solvency II, the Insurance Distribution directive and the IORP II Directive. Michelle was also a member of the Protection and Compensation Fund Management Committee established by the MFSA for 13 years.
- GANADO Advocates, Consultant: 2019
- MFSA Senior Manager, Insurance & Pensions Supervision Unit: 2002
- Master of Arts in Financial Services (2005) Malta
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D), 2002 (Malta)
- Bachelor of Arts in Legal and Humanistic Studies (1999) Malta
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- Member of the Chamber of Advocates